Everyone who visits Vancouver knows about Stanley Park, the Capilano Suspension Bridge and Grouse Mountain. How about some lesser-known places to visit and things to do? Here are 10 fun things to do in Vancouver:
- Farmers’ Markets. Vancouverites are blessed with an abundance of fresh fruit and vegetables from local farms and farmers’ markets are a great way to get your hands on some. Visit eatlocal.org for dates, places, and times.
- Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge. Capilano Suspension Bridge Park gets the glory but the bridge at Lynn Canyon has one great advantage: it’s free. The bridge is connected to a network of hiking trails as well so you can get in a good walk after you take your photos at the bridge.
- Commercial Drive. “The Drive”, as it is known is home to great cafes, restaurants, and bars as well as many eclectic shops. Check out thedrive.ca for more information.
- Lighthouse Park. Take the #250 Horseshoe Bay bus from downtown to West Vancouver to visit this gem of a park. Check out the massive old growth trees and great views of the city.
- Steveston. Located in south Richmond on the Fraser River, this charming and historical fishing village is home to a fisherman’s wharf where you can buy fresh fish right off the boats.
- UBC/Pacific Spirit Park. The campus of the University of British Columbia is definitely worth a visit. If you have time, you can also walk or cycle the numerous trails that lead through Pacific Spirit Park, which separates the campus from the city.
- Burnaby Village Museum. Take a trip back in time to experience what it was like to live here in the 1920’s. Visit burnabyvillagemuseum.ca for more information.
- Pitch & Putt golf. The city manages several golf courses, including the beginner friendly and affordable pitch & putt courses in Stanley Park and Queen Elizabeth Park. Visit https://vancouver.ca/parks-recreation-culture/golf-courses-pitch-and-putts-and-driving-ranges.aspx for more information.
- Kitsilano/4th Avenue. Famous as the birthplace of Greenpeace, “Kits” is a cool neighbourhood that happens to be next to a great beach. More information here: https://www.tourismvancouver.com/vancouver/neighbourhoods/kitsilano/
- Craft Breweries. Vancouver is one of the hot spots for craft beer in Canada so if you are into beer, hop on an organized tour or plan your own visits. https://vancouverbrewerytours.com/
Thanks for reading and a huge thank you to Simon, our full-time events director for putting together this helpful guide. Read more about the staff and instructors of Global Village Vancouver.